Our Asset Inventory case study focuses around SMEC, a professional services firm with Australian origins and a global footprint that provides high-quality consultancy services on major infrastructure projects. Since its inception, SMEC has delivered thousands of civil, transport, water, environment, and power projects in more than 80 countries. SMEC's services generate economic wealth and provide essential services that contribute to national development in some of the world's fastest growing economies. By facilitating the economic development of nations, SMEC meets the requirements of a diverse range of clients and communities and delivers returns to shareholders.
Modern Civil Engineering with Fulcrum
SMEC was investigating mobile applications for efficient field data collection in order to deliver a high quality end products (complete asset inventory) to their clients, and began to use Fulcrum to perform field asset inventory on many different projects. To date they have successfully completed asset management work for government organizations, international funding & aid agencies, utility companies, and private sector clients using Fulcrum. Fulcrum provided SMEC's team with an all-in-one mobile solution with a wide range of features that go far beyond simple data collection. So far they have created over 95 custom Apps in Fulcrum to collect over 20,000 assets for dozens of projects within South Africa.
The field work for collection and assessment of asset data included the following main tasks:
- Creating customized Apps to integrate into SMEC maintenance management systems
- Development of inventory and classification systems for assets
- Collection and inventory of asset data
- Condition assessment of assets
Dozens of Projects Completed With Fulcrum
Some of the projects carried out by members of the local team over the last 2 years that required similar expertise and experience using Fulcrum are:
- eThekwini Municipality – uShaka Marine World asset inventory and condition assessments
- OXFAM Water Program to help connect local people to safe drinking water
- Greater Kokstad Municipality – asset inventory and condition assessments
- Kokstad Ext 7 Independent Audit– investigate and assess infrastructure services installed
- Le Domain Country Estate - audit of stormwater infrastructure installed
- KwaZulu-Natal Department of Transport – road surface visual assessment
- McCord Hospital - asset inventory and condition assessments
- Sedibeng Water – Northern Cape asset inventory and condition assessments
- Sedibeng Water – Free State asset inventory and condition assessments
- Moqhaka Local Municipality - asset inventory and condition assessments
- KZN Ezemvelo Wildlife - asset inventory and condition assessments
Into The Future
SMEC South Africa are continually looking to improve technological systems to enhance their engineering processes. The overall goal is to continuously improve upon existing methods and outputs. Through the support of modern technologies and the right skills, SMEC is developing integrated engineering systems to create better products for their customers.